Organization: International Livestock Research Institute
Closing date: 14 Jul 2013
Vacancy Number: SLN/HT/06/2013
Location: Ibadan, Nigeria
Duration: 3 years contract with the possibility of renewal
Competitive International Salary and Benefits Package
Salary negotiable dependent on skills and experience
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to enhance the roles livestock play in pathways out of poverty in developing countries. ILRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership of 15 centres working with many partners for a food-secure future. ILRI has two main campuses in East Africa and other hubs in East, West and southern Africa and South, Southeast and East Asia. www.ilri.org.
CGIAR is a global agricultural research partnership for a food-secure future. Its science is carried out by 15 research centres that are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. www.cgiar.org.
Humidtropics, a CGIAR Research Program (CRP), seeks to transform the lives of the rural poor in tropical Americas, Asia and Africa. Innovative integrated systems research in the humid tropics will help poor farm families, often led by women, boost their agricultural productivity while preserving the land for future generations. ILRI is heavily engaged in the Humidtropics, leading Strategic Research Theme 1 on Systems Analysis and Global Synthesis with strong inputs into other CRP’s. Further information is available at: http://humidtropics.org/
The Position: ILRI seeks to recruit a scientist with expertise on livestock nutrition in mixed-crop livestock systems in the developing world. The position holder will be responsible for conducting research mainly in West Africa within the humid tropics Programme. The successful candidate should have a solid background in livestock nutrition, an understanding of smallholder livestock systems and experience in applying action research methods.
• Evaluation of feed resources and diagnosis of feed intervention opportunities in West Africa including through use of participatory diagnostic tools under development at ILRI;
• Developing action research approaches to test promising feed interventions through on-farm trials;
• Analysis of feed marketing and exploring options for enhanced livelihoods through small-scale feed trading;
• Publishing the results of research in high quality peer-reviewed international journals and in other media;
• Working with and building the capacity of students.
• PhD in livestock nutrition or related discipline with at least 5 years of relevant post-doctoral experience (8 years for appointment at Scientist Level 3);
• Experience in conducting livestock nutrition research in the developing world;
• Sound understanding of livestock feeding issues in developing countries;
• A systems perspective especially related to intensification of mixed crop-livestock systems in Africa;
• Demonstrated capability of conducting field-based experimentation in mixed crop-livestock systems;
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills;
• Experience in laboratory analysis of feed materials including NIRS techniques;
• Strong track record of publishing in peer reviewed publications;
• Willingness to travel internationally and to rural areas of Africa;
• Proven skills to work in multidisciplinary teams and to obtain positive results from working in diverse partnerships;
• Experience of using participatory research methods in smallholder systems would be an advantage.
Position level: Scientist Level 2 or 3 depending on skills and experience
Post location: This position is based at ILRI’s office in Ibadan, Nigeria.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Terms of appointment: ILRI offers a competitive international and salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
*Benefits and salary are tax free subject to compliance with tax regulations of country of citizenship.
How to apply:
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of publications and the names and addresses (including telephone, fax and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. The position title and reference number:
REF: SLN/HT/06/2013 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter.
All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/job/board on or before 14 July 2013.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer. Suitably qualified women and developing country citizens are particularly encouraged to apply.