Organization: International NGO Safety Organisation
Closing date: 03 Dec 2013
INSO Kenya aims to support security awareness and security management capabilities of NGOs through provision of high quality, real-time flash reporting, periodic analysis and meetings, training and orientations and other request based services.
We are now seeking an experienced safety expert to join our team as a Regional Safety Analyst (RSA) based in Dadaab refugee camp, North East Province.
The RSA leads the delivery of INSO’s core support services to those NGOs operating from the camp, and the surrounding provinces, and will combine a strong technical security background with an deep appreciation and understanding of NGO principles and approaches.
The post will suit those from either a humanitarian or security background who hold a keen interest in Kenyan conflict dynamics and the ability to work in difficult environments.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Establish and maintain an active information source network including amongst NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors to obtain and verify credible and relevant security information. //
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and a contextual analysis of the local and regional security situation. //
- Write comprehensive bi-weekly analysis reports on the provincial and regional security context as it relates to NGOs, and produce daily FLASH incident reports and threat warnings as appropriate.
- Facilitate weekly NGO security roundtables in your region of responsibility, presenting trends and facilitating discussions. //
- Assist NGOs to develop their own security management capacities by reviewing policy, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in evacuation planning and emergency management.
- Manage and supervise a small operational/administrative team (5-10) and oversee local logistics and administration. //
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSOs mandate for independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Fluent in English language (written and spoken)
- Graduate level education (BA/BSc or equivalent Military College) in relevant field.
- Minimum 3 years experience working in an insecure/post conflict environment.
- Minimum 1 year’s recent experience in Kenya (in any capacity but preferably in camps)
- Proven writing and analytical skills (sample requested)
- Ability to work with limited supervision in difficult conditions.
- Employment history that reflects experience in both security and civilian fields.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- Existing information networks and/or local language skills.
- Formal training qualifications (HEAT, K&R, Personal Security, First Aid etc)
The position is being offered on a 12 month unaccompanied contract basis.
For more details visit: www.ngosafety.org
How to apply:
Interested persons are requested to send the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application are welcome as of the date of posting, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted:
• Cover letter (3 page max) – specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO
• Up to date CV (3 page max)
• One relevant and substantive writing samples which demonstrate your analytical and reporting ability (up to 5 page max)
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples etc) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.
This post is being offered subject to final confirmation of funding.
Please reference RSA NEP in the subject line of your application.