Organization: Jesuit Refugee Service
Closing date: 14 Feb 2014
Job Title: Education Coordinator
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date: 14th February 2014
Incorporation date: 1st March 2014
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organization, with a mission to accompany, serve and defend the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. JRS has a priority to work wherever the needs of displaced people are urgent and unattended by others, and offers a human service to refugees and the communities through a wide range of rehabilitation and relief activities, many of which center around formal and informal education needs.
This is a position based in Nairobi. The holder will be under the direct supervision of the Project Director. The Programme Coordinator –Education takes responsibility for the overall leadership, administration and management of the Education (Pre-school, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and Adult learning) programme in Nairobi.
While coordinating the overall Education programme;
• Work closely with MOE and the City Education Department in promoting admission of refugees in schools
• Coordinate capacity building of teachers, parents and Education officials through training
• Coordinate supply of crucial items to schools to promote conducive learning environments and keeping inventory records of all school supplies
• Monitor progress of education interventions including school enrolment, retention and completion.
• Prepare and submit quality activity, monthly and other periodic reports
• Develop strategy/ies to promote refugee access/enrolment/ participation and retention in schools
• Attend to refugees with education related issues at the JRS reception.
• Attend to other duties which will emerge in the process of service to refugees and as directed by the project director.
• When called upon, represent JRS urban project in meetings touching on Education matters
• Advice the Urban project on Education related issues and the necessary corresponding interventions
Tertiary level education:
• Analyses tertiary level education student’s applications, short lists and interviews candidates to benefit from the education programme.
• Carries out home visits for all the possible vocational skills training beneficiaries and prepares the home visits reports and recommendations.
• Maintains a proper filling system for all the student’s documents and records.
• Coordinates the student’s placement in institutions of learning.
• Maintains and updates student’s enrollment and performance databases.
• Holds monitoring meetings with students
• Analyzes student’s performance and offers guidance and counseling appropriately.
• In liaison with the institutions of learning, carries out students monitoring in the institutions of learning, identifies and advocates for the emerging needs.
• Receives and analyses students’ requirements list at the end of every semester.
• Keep an updated inventory list of all students materials purchased and distributed.
• On – going participation in preparation of student’s fees/subsistence allowance payment and follow up payment receipt.
• Participate in any other programme activity as agreed with the Programme Coordinator, Project Director or the Country Director.
• Any other duty that the Project Director may assign.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education Arts and at least two years practical working experience preferably in project management, together with relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing people/teams
• Ability to build effective partnership and collaborate with other team members.
• Ability to work sensitively with refugee population of different ethnic background and/or demonstrated experience and commitment to working with marginalized communities.
• Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral) and Good knowledge of MS word/Office.
• Flexibility, resilience to stress and ability to adapt to changing working environments
• Strong analytical, strategic thinking and planning skills and monitoring and evaluation skills/experience.
• Patience, perseverance, proactive, self motivated and ability to work in stressful environment
Starting Salary: Gross – Kshs. 52,500.00
(Applications that have not met these guidelines will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be contacted)
How to apply:
Please send your Cover Letter that indicates what skills and experience one has that meets the criteria and when one is available to start. Please also include a CV that should include contacts for three referees to email@example.com.